Friday, April 16, 2010

what's a locavore??

With encouragement from my friends I have decided to start a blog about my year-long local food adventure (with my husband).  I'm obviously not the first to take on this challenge, but I may be the first "low income" household to write about it.  My husband and I currently make a combined income of about $25,000 a year.  We are both students, so money is tight.  I often hear people say things like "it's too expensive to buy healthy food".  I'd like to show that it's not expensive, and support local farms in the process.  I have many reasons for choosing to eat local, which I will share over the next year.

According to Wikipedia: A locavore is someone who eats food grown or produced locally or within a certain radius such as 50, 100, or 150 miles (240 km).

I will define local as within 150 miles from Pittsburgh, and at least 80% of what I spend on food will be local.  Since I'm going to be doing this for a whole year there will be the added challenge of preserving food for the winter.  To do this I bought a chest freezer to save fruits, veggies and meat through the winter. Maybe I'll even venture into canning... we'll see.

I will begin on 6/1/10- when my community supported agriculture (CSA) program starts.  In the meantime I need to eat all the non-local food I have in the house, and find local farms that will supply me for the next year.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment