Friday, August 17, 2012

Mott Family Farm Dinner in the Fields


I received a great suggestion that I start writing about my experiences at local farms.  I love knowing where my food is coming from, so I like to take opportunities to visit local farmers. Last year I had a wonderful evening at the Mott Family Farm Dinner in the Fields. They hired a professional chef to prepare a many course meal for about 30 people.  I enjoyed local cheeses and fresh heirloom tomatoes, artisan bread and homemade butter, an incredible squash soup, beet salad, tender grass-fed meat atop turnip puree with braised arugla, and dessert.  Everyone sat at a long table and I met lots of people who shared many similar interests.  We talked about what we do with all the extra veggies we get from our CSAs, brewing our own beer, making bread, and our excitement that the locavore movement is gaining so much momentum.  The guests also had opportunities to explore the farm.  Before dinner I milked an adorable blonde jersey cow and enjoyed the milk while it was still warm (it was amazing- that’s what I’m holding in the picture)! After dinner I wandered around the fields, snacking on the many varieties of heirloom vegetables as I went.  I had a great time, and I highly recommend visiting local farms and enjoying a meal of the season's bounty.  Here is the link for upcoming Mott Family Farm events (including their dinner party):

http://mottfamilyfarm.com/events-for-2012

In November local farms are bringing their food to the city of Pittsburgh 
in this Farm to Table Harvest Tasting:

No comments:

Post a Comment