Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sweetbreads... not sweet or bread?

For last nights "bizarre foods- locavore edition" I cooked up some sweetbreads and lamb tongue for dinner with friends.    Personally, sweetbreads are my favorite kind of meat.  I'd rather have sweetbreads than a steak any day, hands down.  Unfortunately they're rather hard to find.  Luckily I've found a local source.  I was a little nervous that my friends might not like them as much as I do, but they were a big hit!  For those of you who are wondering what the bizarre thing pictured to the right actually is (besides being a "sweetbread"), it is the thymus gland of a young cow.  It has a very mild flavor, and a fantastic texture; it almost melts in your mouth.  The lamb tongue was also quite good; it was much more tender than I expected, with a little bit of iron flavor, but not nearly as potent as liver.  I'm looking forward to getting more "variety meats" from local farmers!

No comments:

Post a Comment